UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
775 Chapanoke Road
Hertford, NC 27944
ALL ARE WELCOME
UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The year is 1814, James Madison is our fourth President, the British have captured and burned Washington, D. C. and Francis Scott Key wrote the words to "The Star Spangled Banner".
"State of North Carolina this indenture made this '23' day of February in the year of our Lord Eighteen Hundred and Fourteen, in Perquimans County", thus begins the deed to the property of Oak Grove United Methodist Church.
On this day, a Wednesday, 195 years ago, William Perry, son of Inse and Pharaby Perry, his wife deeded to the Trustees, Robert Perry, Daniel Perry, Nathan Sanders, Benjamin White, George White, Malichi McCoy, and Joshua Small, a piece of land, bounded by property in the name of Christopher Wilson and running along the main road so it would be square. On this lot a place of worship for us of The Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States of America, according to the rules of The Discipline, shall be erected. On this lot was erected a church which has served the people of this community for the past 195 years.
Until 1893, Oak Grove was a Virginia Conference Church. In 1861, she became The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, as fighting erupted between the North and the South.
The Confederate Archives in Richmond mentions that in the winter of 1864 and spring of 1865, Oak Grove was used as a hospital and rest station for retreating Confederate troops moving south in hopes of rejoining President Jefferson Davis in Charleston, South Carolina.
The church as it now stands is primarily as it was originally, with the exception of some renovation of the interior, and the addition of rooms to the sides and the fellowship hall which was started during 1959, under the ministry of Rev. Albert N. Gore, Jr. On October 30, 1960 a homecoming was held at which time a consecration service for the new building was held.
The building was dedicated and the note burned on September 30, 1962 at which time Rev. Lester Hall was pastor.
The Perquimans Charge which consisted of Oak Grove, Cedar Grove, Epworth, New Hope, and Woodland was divided in 1957. The Rev. Earl Meekins was the last pastor of the five point charge, and the Rev. M. W. Dulin was the first pastor of the new three point Perquimans Charge.
Oak Grove UMC is a part of American history, and by your membership and attendance, or visitation here, you are also a part of that history. Her character is etched in every peg and board that went into her construction, and by the people who have attended and supported her over these many, many years.
9:00 AM Worship Service
9:50 AM Fellowship and Breakfast
10:30 AM Sunday School
Welcome to Oak Grove United Methodist Church.
We hope you are able to visit us on Sunday and join as we Worship our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Questions or Comments are Welcome. We can be emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click Here for a NIV ONLINE BIBLE by Bible Gateway.
READ THE BIBLE IN 2014, For daily readings visit "The One Year Bible Online.Com".
Follow us on FACEBOOK
Copyright 2009 Oak Grove United Methodist Church. All rights reserved..